Thursday, June 30, 2011

Back to Brunswick


Day 90, June 30, 2011, Back to Brunswick

Route from Belfast to Thomas Beach Campground, Brunswick, ME

84.9 miles, averaging 14.4 mph

Best Moment – Even though the skies were ominous all day long and there was quite a rain shower at 6 this morning in Belfast, I made it to Brunswick without getting rained on.  There were moments when I was certain that I would be drenched.

Worst Moment – Hearing how stressful Neita’s day was.  She was bringing in the living room slide, when it got held up on the driver’s chair we had turned around.  It ended up breaking the molding in a few places.  The molding is Styrofoam, and Elmer’s glue seems to have done the trick.  Never the less, it was a stressful morning for her. 

I got to see what I had seen about a week ago, but coming from the opposite direction and somewhat drier this time.  There were beautiful bays, rivers, ponds and lakes as I rode from one body of water to another.  There was a sandy beach around Lincolnville and certainly evidence of the lobster industry of in the state.


One of the interesting things here is the way they use Maine as an adjective for all kinds of commercial purposes.  There are companies like Mainely Used Cars, Mainely Made, Mainely Real Estate and even a Mainely Vinyl.   Then there are other businesses that promote that the products, crafts, food items or art has been Made in Maine.   It seems to be a sense of pride.  Even the wine last night, though it was made in Maine, used California grapes.

Just west of the Back River is the fishing village of Wiscasset where I found this amazing sunken garden. When I first saw it, I thought that it might be some kind of memorial for something or the ruins of an old house, but it was just a garden for reflection and enjoyment – below street level.  There must have some kind of tour group in town because the place was hoping – with a line nearly a block long around one of the eating places.



I thought that I would be able to take Hwy 1 all of the way to Brunswick.  That would have made the route finding issues mute.  However, after crossing the Androscoggin River into the town of Bath, I saw the sign that bicycles were restricted from Hwy 1 and I had to retrace my route to find the right way to Brunswick. 

I stopped at Staples to get glue for Neita and at Wal-Mart to visit the Red Box – movies tonight – since we don’t have cable.  

If you would like to donate to my ride, my link for the Lance Armstrong Foundation is http://grassroots2011.livestrong.org/billsbigride197.  I really appreciate your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment