Monday, June 20, 2011

Lobster for Dinner


Day 79, June 19, 2011, Lobster for Dinner



50.5 miles, averaging 12.9 mph

Route from Sutton to Minuteman Campground, Littleton, MA

Best Moment – Chris and Casey are our home in Sonoma County.  They called me to wish me a “Happy Father’s Day” just as I was finishing the ride for the day.  It was so good to hear from them!  They sound like they are having a great time, which pleases me, since that is where we will be living in October.

Worst Moment – It really looked like today’s route would only be about 45 miles this morning.  With that mindset, the last five miles were grueling.  Two of the last five were on Bruce Lane.  The street was in such disrepair that it made the photo below look like a newly constructed and paved highway.  I know that the climate is tough on roads here, but really?


Last night, I was fairly discouraged about the ride.  Yesterday took a lot both physically and mentally.  This morning, I felt a little better about the challenge of the “Big Ride.”  With tomorrow being a rest day, I know I’ll have a chance to recuperate a bit as well.  My legs are a little sore. 

I took a leisurely approach to the start of the day and don’t think I left Ruby until nearly 9.  Manchaug Lake is really beautiful!  The campground we were at had this as its entrance. 



The route was more up and down hill.  More climbing and descending.  And many of the roads were in terrible condition. But the scenery is astounding!  The dogwood trees are in full bloom, the flower gardens an artist’s palette of color and hue and the peonies full of fragrance. 


But then, when I consider the highway - Noisy, crowded, fast, and all a blur


Or my way – Quiet, solitary, only as fast as I pedal, and really a chance to see the detail.


Today is Neita and my 29th wedding anniversary.  Wow!  Peonies have always been one of Neita’s favorite flowers.  Seeing all of them on the ride, I was considering how to obtain a bloom to give her.  I thought that I could explain my situation – being that I was bicycling, and it was our wedding anniversary and all and offer to purchase one from a gardener working in their yard.  Well there weren’t any gardeners working in their yards.  Now what?

At the top of a hill, there was a house that had a “For Sale” sign in its yard.  The yard was full of peonies loaded with blossoms and they were close to the vacant street.  Even the house looked deserted.  I flipped a U-Turn and broke off a bloom and quickly hid it in my handle bar bag.  I'll probably go to jail! What fragrance! What beauty!

We arrived at the campground at the same time.  Neita had a card for me and told me she found an amazing market and that we were having champagne and lobster for dinner.  After dinner we had a campfire, enjoyed talking with Mike, one of the other campers, and sipped on Bailey’s.  Life is indeed good.  

If you would like to donate to my ride, my link for the Lance Armstrong Foundation is http://grassroots2011.livestrong.org/billsbigride197.  I really appreciate your support. 

1 comment: