Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Short but Hot


Day 68, June 8, 2011, Short, but Hot

47.6 miles, averaging 13.4 mph

Route from Richmond to KOA Fredericksburg, Fredericksburg, VA

Best Moment – Today, was thankfully a short ride.

Worst Moment – But it was a very hot ride and very humid.  I heard that it was supposed to be over 100 degrees.  The east is sweltering.

Because yesterday was so long, and I knew today would be shorter, I left Ruby a little later than normal. Bad mistake.  It was soon over 90 degrees and there were monster hills.  I had gotten very used to the nice flat terrain of Florida, Georgia, and the Carolinas.  Some of the grades were over 10 % today.  While they are a blast to fly down, they are a b---h to grind up – especially in the heat and humidity.

Again, the route was completely rural.  There were picturesque farms and wonderful wooded scenery.  Here are a couple of the farms that I saw.

There are a lot of Southern historical sites.  The house pictured below is where Stonewall Jackson died.
 

I found the KOA.  It is very remote in a very wooded area just south of Fredericksburg.  Since I arrived just after 1, I was able to do laundry, and then go for a swim in their “heated” swimming pool.  I’m not sure these folks have the same definition of heated pool.  The water temperature was probably about 70, but it really felt pretty good. It was fun watching one whole family of six playing in the water – mom, dad, two boys and two girls.  They are camping in a tent.   

Tomorrow is a long day – over 100 miles and through Washington DC.  I am more than a little apprehensive about cycling thru the capital especially considering my last visit to the capital when I was driving.  It was a family vacation, Chris was 14 and he thought that my navigation and driving skills were so poor that he could do better.  I was tempted to let him take the wheel.

Just finished listening to a very interesting book – a true story about a killer in Florence Italy who would kill young couples making love in the Tuscan Hills.  The mystery has never been solved.  The book is called The Monster of Florence.

I’ve recently received additional donations for the Lance Armstrong Foundation.  They are very much appreciated.  Thank you. 

If you would like to make a donation to the Lance Armstrong Foundation so they can help people whose lives are affected by cancer, here is my link http://grassroots2011.livestrong.org/billsbigride197

No comments:

Post a Comment