Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Heading West!


Day 88, June 28, 2011, Heading West!

50.3 miles averaging 14 mph

Route from Bar Harbor to Moorings RV Resort, Belfast, ME

Best Moment – A short day – I may be out of shape when I have to tackle another century ride. 

Worst Moment – As I was getting Rocket ready to go into Belfast, I noticed that the door to Ruby’s gas tank was open and the gas cap was missing.  I know that the last time Neita filled up, things were a little hectic and can understand how that could have happened.  We went back to the gas station, no luck there, but did find an auto parts store in Belfast that had one the right size.

Leaving Bar Harbor and Mount Desert Island was just a little sad.  This was the easternmost point of the ride and the furthest north on the eastern seaboard.  It really was a great day for riding – nice and cool and no rain or drizzle. There were a number of touring cyclists headed east including one couple on a recumbent tandem walking up one of the hills – oh brother, I hope they didn’t have to go far, because there were a lot of even steeper hills on the route.

I’d seen the route before, but not taken any photos.  In Bucksport, I was looking for a local coffee shop but never found one.  I took the photos of the bridge – sort of interesting because the support columns are in the middle of the two lanes of traffic – and Fort Knox from the other side of the river.



I made it to the campground about an hour before Neita did, got us checked in, ate lunch and was resting on the picnic table when she arrived.  We took Rocket into Belfast.  The town had a lot of really nice interesting shops.  They weren’t nearly as touristy as those in Bar Harbor or Kennebunkport.  There were a lot of art studios and galleries.  One of the stores featured all kinds of things for “green living” like self-composting toilets and solar powered lights.  Another had all kinds of kitchen and gourmet stuff.  Cool!



Neita had lobster AGAIN for dinner.  Lobster here is really as good as it gets and Papa J’s is the best. We really like the restaurant and that it is just up the hill from the campground.  They are having a wine tasting tomorrow night that we will probably check out. 


We had a smoky campfire as we watched the sky grow darker and silhouette the oak trees on the coast.  This is a very beautiful place.


If you would like to donate to my ride, my link for the Lance Armstrong Foundation is http://grassroots2011.livestrong.org/billsbigride197.  I really appreciate your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment