Thursday, June 23, 2011

Lobsters and Lighthouses


Day 82, June 22, 2011, Lobsters and Lighthouses

64.3 miles, averaging I don’t know how many mph I went today

Route from Kingston, NH to Salty Acres Campground, Kennebunkport, ME

Best Moment – The lobster dinner at Nunan’s was outstanding.  They had a special on a 1.75-pound lobster. It was very tasty and that’s coming from someone who isn’t crazy for this crustacean.  Of course Neita thought she was in heaven and it almost made the entire journey worthwhile for this one dinner. Almost---


Worst Moment – The battery on the bicycle odometer went dead so I lost my data for the ride today.  I was able to sort of reconstruct the information regarding the length of ride, but I have no idea about the average speed. I replaced the battery and set the program, so I ought to be good for the rest of the trip

It’s weird, but from the moment I crossed into Maine, there seemed to be a lot of places advertising lobster – certainly more than there were in New Hampshire even though they are across the river from one another.  Nearly every small town had lobster houses and there were lots of fresh fish places promoting lobsters, steamed, rolled or boiled.  I was along the shoreline for much of the way and could see lighthouses off the rocky Maine Coast.




The flower gardens are bountiful with lilac, rhododendron, peonies, lilies, daisies, iris, foxglove, delphinium, Queen Anne’s lace, blooming vines that look like raspberry, and roses.  Many of the flowers seem to grow wild along the side of the road.  And then there are the beaches.  Maine does have beautiful beaches. Though with the unsettled weather moving in, it was a little too cool for many sun worshipers.



Neita found that her cell phone wouldn’t hold a charge any longer and had to replace it.   Gabby, her GPS, led her to a Verizon store near a Wal-Mart and she was able to take care of two things at once. 

We arrived at the campground at nearly the same time.  Since the place we are staying tomorrow night doesn’t have water, I drained and filled Ruby’s water tank with fresh water.   Once the chores were complete, we took Rocket into Kennebunkport for a tour of all of the touristy shops.  It is a cute little town.  Once Neita got the obligatory Kennebunkport T-shirt, we continued riding rocket along the coastline past some incredible mansions including the Bush compound.  Amazing.


The rain held off until after we made it home from our excursion and dinner.  Now it sounds like it is pouring outside and there is a good chance of rain tomorrow.

If you would like to donate to my ride, my link for the Lance Armstrong Foundation is http://grassroots2011.livestrong.org/billsbigride197.  I really appreciate your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment