Sunday, June 26, 2011

I Might Like Maine, If...


Day 85, June 25, 2011, I Might Like Maine, If….

48.4 miles, averaging 12.9 mph

Route from Belfast to Hadley’s Point Campground, Bar Harbor, ME

Best Moment – It is really nice to know that after today I don’t have to cycle anywhere for the next couple of days.  And I’m headed west when I start back up!

Worst Moment – Early this morning, we were awakened with a terrible thunderstorm.  There was lots of lightening, thunder, and then torrential rain.  Great day for bicycling - didn’t sound promising.

The rain and storms remained fairly steady for the rest of the night.  When I got up, I checked the hourly forecasts for Belfast and for Bar Harbor.  It looked like there might be a small window of less severe weather around 7 am in Belfast and before noon for Bar Harbor.

While the rain didn’t ever completely stop, and I got totally soaked – through two sets of outerwear, there was only a steady drizzle, mist or sometimes a light rain.  The temperatures hovered around 50 degrees with the high about 54.  

The scenery was beautiful through wooded areas, suburban areas, and charming villages and past Fort Knox.  I didn’t take any photos since all of my electronic equipment was double wrapped in plastic to protect it from the rain.

As I was riding, it occurred to me that I might actually like Maine if:
·      I ever saw the sun – the last time was three days ago
·      It ever stopped drizzling
·      I had dry clothes – that would keep me dry
·      It ever got warm – the temps have only gotten into the 60’s
·      The Department of Transportation was better at signing their roads

The weather forecast was right.  I got to Bar Harbor around noon and then the rains really hit again.  Neita got a late start from Belfast to avoid the weather there and wasn’t here yet.  I had to wait in the laundry room for her to arrive.    We set up in heavy rain – at least I wasn’t on the bike anymore.

The patio lights Neita ordered had arrived.  Now we can really fit in with the RV set.  We are the only wine lights I’ve seen.  They may not really be for RV awnings – but they are still cool.

A close up of the lights - grape bunches and chianti bottles

 Our living room with drying cycle gear

If you would like to donate to my ride, my link for the Lance Armstrong Foundation is http://grassroots2011.livestrong.org/billsbigride197.  I really appreciate your support.


No comments:

Post a Comment