Sunday, June 19, 2011

One Tough Century

Day 78, June 18, 2011, One Tough Century

105.2 miles, averaging 13.1 mph

Route from Winsted, CT to Manchaug Campground, Sutton, MA


Best Moment – Around Granby, CT, I somehow misunderstood the directions and they were a little vague.  Anyway I ended up going a few miles out of my way.  Because of this unplanned detour, I had the best moment of the day.  Outside a church, there were police to direct traffic, and a number of cars.  The Boy Scouts were there, as were men in colonial military dress.  Chairs were lined up on the church lawn and there was a speaker’s podium.  Between the road and the chairs, was the “Field of Flags”  - a small American to commemorate every soldier lost in Iraq or Afghanistan.  Thousands of them (6000) – it was quite emotional. The mournful notes from a bagpipe were echoing over the event.  This was truly something one would never see or experience by touring the country in an automobile.

Worst Moment – The second time I needed to verify my location was late in the day just as I crossed into Massachusetts.   The street signs were not there.  I checked twice.  Anyway, I tried to consult my GPS, but was given a message that VZ Navigator was unable to respond to my request and to restart.  I did that, but still no access to the map or the “where am I” application.  The same message.  Again I tried and again the same message.   Of course the AAA maps I had with me are not detailed enough help me find the right way out of Quinebaug, MA to the Dudley-Oxford Rd.  Finally, I found a major road (sort of) going north (or so it said) and could tell it would cross a road that was on the route a bit further along – at least I knew, I was back on track.


When I finally found the campground, Neita checked with Verizon.  Their entire navigation system was down this afternoon.  It should be working tomorrow.  I hope so, because it really helps me.  If I feel that I’m off track or missed a turn, I’ll use it just to help me know that I’m in the right place and headed in the right direction.

The scenery is so beautiful.  There is a lot of water in CT.  Early in the ride I crossed over this dam.  Quite a site to see the lake on the north and the beautiful river below. 



Then there are the hills!  While covered in blooming mountain laurel, (I think,) the hills are very challenging going up.  I’m glad I have three chain rings to use.  Once in a while, I’m in the very lowest gear, standing and still struggling to go 5 or 6 mph.  But then the descent comes and it is a blast.  I sometimes struggle to keep it under my uphill speed plus 30.  Though I would like to just go all out, and probably could because there is not a lot of traffic, I don’t know the conditions of the roads well enough and these roads are not always in the best conditions, with unfortunately placed potholes, debris, and twisty turns. These hills, the detours and the uncertainty about the route, made one tough century.  Tomorrow is a short day!


There are lots of other cyclists out today.  Most of them were going in the opposite direction.  Nearly all waved or shouted good morning.  It looked like there was a huge club ride, as there were a number all dressed the same.  What a great sport! And, what a great way to spend a beautiful, cool New England morning!

Should you care to donate to my ride, my link for the Lance Armstrong Foundation is http://grassroots2011.livestrong.org/billsbigride197 


2 comments:

  1. Bill, Happy Father's Day, and Happy Anniversary to you and Neita. Enjoy a day off!
    --Ken & Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful pictures! Love the DeVry jersey.
    -Kelly D.

    ReplyDelete