Monday, June 27, 2011

I Like Maine When...


Day 87, June 27, 2011, I Like Maine When

0 miles, averaging 0 mph

Route from Hadley’s Point Campground to Acadia National Park & Bar Harbor

Best Moment – It was a really relaxing, fun day.

Worst Moment – Neita ate my popover.

Today we decided to tour Acadia National Park.  We left the campground around 10:30, taking the shuttle to the Visitor’s Center.  After listening to a short description of the park by a ranger and watching the film “Acadia, Always” we caught the Loop Bus for a tour of the 20 something mile loop. 

The park is very popular with bicyclists of all kinds.  Sort of made me wish I were cycling even though it was a rest day I really needed.  We even saw some VBT cyclists.  President Roosevelt commissioned carriage trails to be built throughout the park in order to give everyone access to the park.  This 140-mile network of packed granite trails is now used for hiking, carriage rides, horseback riding, and mountain biking

We got off the bus at Sandy Beach.  It is the only sandy beach on the island, but the water is a frigid 48 degrees.  Can’t imagine being in water to swim that is so cold.  But there were people in the water.  We hiked about a mile to Thunder Hole.  Apparently when the surf and tide are just right the waves crashing through the cut in the rock sound like thunder.   Our timing wasn’t right, because we didn’t hear the thunder, but it was quite beautiful.



We re-boarded the bus for the continued trip and stopped at Jordan’s Pond.  The place is known for its popovers. Apparently it is a tradition to eat popovers on the lawn at Jordan’s Pond.  We decided to stop for lunch.  There was a bit of a wait that we spent on the observation deck.  A really popular spot! The actual lake is supposed to be one of the clearest and cleanest in Maine.  They do not allow swimming or any other water sports.  It is quite beautiful.



Fresh hot popovers came with most meals.  Of course, Neita only ordered an appetizer and had devoured the popover that came with my meal while I was in the restroom.  It was fresh out of the oven.  Fortunately Ryan, our server, brought another one for me.  With strawberry preserves – wow!  Then I also had one with ice cream and hot fudge sauce for dessert.


We caught the shuttle into Bar Harbor for me to pick up my bicycle and to get a few items from the grocery store.
I really like Maine When:
  • ·      The sun is shining
  • ·      It is warm
  • ·      It isn’t raining or drizzling or misting
  • ·      My clothes are dry
  • ·      I don’t have to worry about road signs because I’m on the free shuttle bus


If you would like to donate to my ride, my link for the Lance Armstrong Foundation is http://grassroots2011.livestrong.org/billsbigride197.  I really appreciate your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment