Friday, June 17, 2011

And Onto Connecticut


Day 77, June 17, 2011, And Onto Connecticut

92.8 miles, averaging 13.1 mph

Route from Rosendale, NY to White Pines Campground, Winsted, CT

Best Moment – I made it to Ruby before the real afternoon shower hit.  It’s pouring outside now, and there’s lightening and thunder.

Worst Moment – In Kingston, NY there was a detour of route 32, I somehow missed a critical turn by riding a bicycle in the rain and dodging traffic.  I spent nearly an hour trying to find my way back on route.  None of the streets run straight - there are all of these crazy angles and one-way streets.

I woke up around 3 AM to the sound of rain on the roof.  It didn’t stop by 7, so I decided to brave the elements and head out.  The rain wasn’t really too bad and was stopping by the time that I got to Kingston (about an hour after leaving Ruby.) Once I found my way back to route 32, I soon crossed the Hudson River.  I can certainly understand why the route north and then south along the Hudson is considered a scenic route.  It was beautiful.

I stopped in Rhinebeck for coffee.  Samuel’s sign indicated they had the best coffee in town and fresh baked pastries.  I ordered coffee $1.50 and a huge peanut butter cookie $1.75.  The clerk told me that would be $4.50.  I questioned her on it – that it should really be $3.25.  She was really confused, and ended up giving change back as though the bill was $3.50.  What is happening to math? The coffee was good though I don’t know that it is the best in Rhinebeck.

Heading out of Rhinebeck I turned on Violet Hill Road and that should have been the warning of the rest of the day.  It was hill after hill - up then down and repeat.  From the top of Winchell Mountain Road, I felt that I could see into at least three different counties.  The elevation gain has been more than any time since leaving Florida.  At one point I crossed the Appalachian Trail, was at 1,500 feet after coming from close to sea level around the Hudson River.


This is at the top of Winchell Mountain. 

Early in the afternoon I crossed into Connecticut!  Another new state!  


The rolling wooded hills and charmingly beautiful small towns make this a place that I would like to come back to – in a car – in the fall – and stay in bed & breakfasts.  Connecticut has its own wine trail!!  It also has a lot of dairy cattle and bucolic farm scenes.  



Should you care to donate to my ride, my link for the Lance Armstrong Foundation is http://grassroots2011.livestrong.org/billsbigride197 

Also, Neita’s blog, so you can hear the other side of the story is, http://www.rubyandrocket.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment