Saturday, June 11, 2011

Exceeding the Speed Limit


Day 71, June 11, 2011 Exceeding the Speed Limit (At Least Occasionally)

72.1 miles, averaging 14.1 mph

Route from College Park, MD to Merry Meadows Family Campground, Freeland, MD.



Best Moment – Around Dayton, MD, I another cyclist caught me and rode with me for a few miles.  He was on his 35 mile Saturday ride and told me a bit about the countryside.  Nice to have someone to talk with.

Worst Moment – A plump young girl riding in a car screamed “FWAAA,” at me, as I was negotiating the heavy traffic on the narrow streets of Reistertsown, MD. The girl was probably around 12 or 13 and with her mom, older brother and sister.  All seemed to think that it was amusing to see if they could scare a cyclist.  When I caught up with them at the stoplight, I told her that it wasn’t nice to try to scare someone on a bicycle.  She replied, that she was just saying “hello.”  (Not even close.)  A wave would be the preferred way to do that.

I had anticipated a challenging ride today.  I was leaving Washington DC, was some miles off the route, there was a 60% chance of thundershowers, and we didn’t have confirmed reservations at Merry Meadows which was the only campground anywhere near Jarrettsville, PA.  The campground was also some miles away from the planned route.

There were lots and lots of hills.  Sometimes not often and not for extended periods, I exceeded the 35 mph speed limit.  What fun that was.  Of course, there was a price for that downhill glee.

About 11 the 60% chance of rain came through.  It poured – the cold rain came down in torrents and sort of felt good.  I didn’t really even have a chance to dig out the rain gear – before it hit.  Then when I finally had the raincoat on, the rain didn’t last too long.  There were three other cyclists out for their Saturday ride pulled over to the side of the road not really knowing what to do.  One woman indicated that she had never ridden in the rain and was intimidated by that not really sure if or how her wet brakes would work.

A highlight of the day was the red velvet cupcake and coffee at Icedgems.  Just after the rain the coffee warmed me up.  At one point I was certain that I, in the Arizona jersey, was being shot at when I heard lots of gunfire on the road.  Turns out that it was just a gun club.  I later saw the sign that said “Women with Guns.”  I got out of there fast.  Thought that this giant rabbit outside of Marriottsville was worth a picture.  




After crossing Prettyboy Reservoir, there was this winery.  I would have stopped, but it was uphill to get to the tasting room and they didn’t allow pets.  No winery dogs here.    


We got an overflow spot at the Merry Meadow Family Campground.  Yeah! As we were sitting outside enjoying our parking lot spot, the octogenarian owner stopped by to find out where we were from.  He and his frail wife were out for their evening ride.  What stories he could tell.  They reminded me so much of Neita’s parents.  (they’d been married 63 years.) What a special treat.   Now we can hear the Indian yells from the planned activity for the evening.  All of the campers are invited to take part in an Indian skill challenge.  This really is a family place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment