Saturday, July 2, 2011

There's Skiing Here


Day 91, July 1, 2011, There’s Skiing Here

Route from Brunswick, ME to Saco River Campground, North Conway, NH

104 miles, averaging 13.3 mph

Worst Moment – Many of the inclines on the route today were in excess of a 10% grade and there were many of them.  It wouldn’t have been so bad if I had been able to fly downhill, but with the crappy condition of the roads, I needed to descend very cautiously.

Best Moment – The Saco River area is an outdoor paradise.  There are the mountains and the river.  The river sort of reminded us of California’s Russian River area for all of the water activity.  It is really beautiful.

I left the campground around 7 and cycled through Brunswick – part was on a bicycle path along the Merrymeeting Bay.  Unfortunately, the route through the city wasn’t on the bicycle path the entire way and I spent more than a few minutes and miles trying to find the right route. 

There was quite a bit of climbing from one drainage area to the other.  These included roads along the Androscoggin River, Long Lake, and the Saco River.  Lots of water in this state.  Here’s a sample of some of the water scenes.




On the mountain, across one of the valleys, I saw the ski area.  I’m not sure that they show up very well, but it gives an indication of the kind of terrain I was in.  There were also signs for cross-country skiing and snowmobile routes in the area.  The slopes certainly don’t have run length of the skiing in the west, but to come from sea level to elevation for skiing I’m certain that the folks here enjoy them.  This photo was taken just after a brief but heavy rain shower.  


Conway is on the border with Maine, so about 4 miles before getting to the campground, I crossed back into New Hampshire – a true indication of our westward trek.  They even have decorated snowmen as sidewalk art here.


Tomorrow is certainly another day of climbing.  There is a 3000 foot mountain pass.  It will be quite a challenge, I’m sure.  

If you would like to donate to my ride, my link for the Lance Armstrong Foundation is http://grassroots2011.livestrong.org/billsbigride197.  I really appreciate your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment