Saturday, April 16, 2011

Well It Is the Hill Country

Day 15, April 16, 2011, Well, It Is the Hill Country

Route from Kerrville to Blanco State Park, Texas

70.3 hilly miles averaging 11.8

Best Moment – There was a best moment on every screaming descent.  Of course I had to work pretty hard for them, but what a rush going down hill is – especially on the roads without any traffic where I knew I didn’t have to stay as far to the right as possible.  I felt like I owned the road.

Worst Moment – After all of the very friendly motorists, I’ve encountered on the ride so far, today I came across the first class A jerk.  I was cycling uphill, so not going fast at all, on the deserted Farm Road into Blanco and was as far to the right as possible when a Texas pick up driver honked very persistently and as he passed, the passenger flipped me off.

Today’s route went through more of the famous Texas Hill Country.  It is certainly hilly.  Sometimes the grade is 9 -10% and makes for very slow going.  There seems to be a lot of farming done in the area.  As there are signs advertising Hay for Sale all over.  It seems that a lone star is an architectural necessity as it is frequently seen on gates, fences and part of most buildings.



I rode through Comfort, which seemed to be quite a lovely resort area.  There were several attractive Bread and Breakfasts, along with interesting, quaint shops.  Just wish I had more time to explore.  Another find today was the first winery that was actually open.

I saw my first winery that was actually open today.  Though I didn’t stop, it did look like a very fun place to visit.  Then there was Waring, TX.  While not much more than a 4 way stop, Waring did have two burger places the one pictured below which claimed to have been voted the best burger in Waring and the other one which was quite modern by comparison.  I had to wonder who voted, since all that was in Waring were the two burger places.



The winery building



A Godsend has been the C2C (Coast to Coast) markers on the road.  Late in the day today, I’d have missed the turn had C2C not been painted on the road along with the directional arrow.  However, they are not 100% accurate, so I still check the maps and verify directions from both the maps and the route markings.

No comments:

Post a Comment