Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Sam Houston National Forest

Day 18, April 19, 2011, Sam Houston National Forest

Route from Navasota to Bowder’s Marina and Campground, Coldspring , TX

74.8 miles averaging 13.6 mph

Best Moment – Riding through Sam Houston National Forest was an amazing bicycle ride.  As yesterday in the state parks, there was very little traffic and it seems that I had the road to myself.  Sort of reminded me of cycling from the Czech Republic into Germany except there wasn’t any rain and it was nearly 90 degrees.


Worst Moment – The worst moment of the day was wondering if I’d ever get here.  The original route map had us staying in Shepherd, TX, which is a bit further.  However, there was this campground on the lake nearer Coldspring, so I’d chosen it, but I didn’t realize how far out of Coldspring it was.  Here I was expecting an easy day of around 60 miles, and was ready for it to be over long before my 3 pm arrival.

Times are hard here.  In Navasota, there was an entire block where all of the stores were vacant and the property was for sale.  Yesterday, there was only one grocery store when there had been two.  I question how much longer that one store would be around.  Many of the little towns have lots of vacant commercial real estate.

After leaving the National Forest I crossed Lake Conroe and we are staying on Lake Livingston – funny I never really expected any of Texas to have this much water.  Locals claim that it is extremely dry even here in the eastern part of the state.


Thought that the photo of the statute of Christ was interesting.  It was in a garden along the road with a bench in front.  I’m not really sure who would stop by to admire the sculptor’s work – there was nary a place to park.


At our campsite, Spanish moss hangs thickly from the trees.  We have a wonderful patio, but there is too much wind to really enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment