Sunday, April 17, 2011

Doesn't Lance Train Here?

Day 16, April 17, 2011, Doesn’t Lance Train Here?

Route from Blanco to Highway 71 RV Park, Cedar Creek, TX


79.1 averaging 13.2 mph

Best Moment – The hot fudge sundae at Dairy Queen in Kyle

Worst Moment – Riding on Sunday the pie store in Wimberley didn’t open until noon, I was there at 10:15, and could only enjoy the smell of fresh baked pie.  The Texas Pie Store in Kyle doesn’t open at all on Sunday. Its 3-D (the piece of pie comes out over the awning) sign says “Life is Short, Eat more Pie.”  Sounds like good philosophy to me.


While still hilly, the terrain has certainly changed from the hill country of the past few days.  I think that Lance Armstrong trained in the hills near here.  Around Austin, there are bigger vistas, but still great roads for riding.  This part of the ride certainly isn’t as scenic as the past few days were, but it is much easier to manage as well.  I think that because it was Sunday, and we are close to Austin, the traffic was some of the worst that I’ve seen.  There were lots of cars all over.

The shoulders of the roadways are covered with wildflowers of orange, blue, yellow and pink.  Sometimes all of the flowers are together in one area.  I especially liked this photo of the bank of orange daisy like flowers.


Just finished listening to The Secret History by Donna Tartt, It was a long and somewhat entertaining story about a group of 5 mostly over privileged college students attending studying Greek at an exclusive eastern private college.   I just wonder if every author has to use supercilious at least once per book?  It seems that there are a lot of other synonyms for it.

The wind continues to blow.  I wonder if it ever stops in Texas?  The temperatures have been great for riding normally in the 60’s when I leave and the low 90’s when I finish.

Tomorrow, we should be in Navasota – the end of another bicycle route map.

1 comment:

  1. My best moment would be a hot fudge sundae at Dairy Queen too. My fav is the peanut buster parfait. Enjoy your rides.

    ReplyDelete