Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Second Century

Day 17, April 18, 2011, Second Century.

Route from Cedar Creek to Municipal Campground, Navasota, TX

115.5 miles averaging 13.4 mph

Best Moment – The best moment had to be the incredible ride through Bastop and Buescher State Parks.  The parks were nearly deserted and have wonderful narrow winding hilly roads through pine forests.  Perfect for riding.  The two parks, while not exactly the same park, are on the same road and you have to go through them to continue the C2C route.




This is such an amazing area to cycle that it was selected for the MS150 ride in this part of Texas.  I can only imagine the fun that would have been with 14,000 riders.  The campers stayed at the fairgrounds in La Grange.  It really looked like it had been quite an operation with all of the tents and port-a-potties.

At the ranger station as I was leaving Buescher State Park, I stopped to get water and was talking to the ranger working in the gift shop.  She graduated high school from Big Piney, Wyoming.   (maybe it was Pinedale – both towns are in the western part of Wyoming.)

Worst Moment – It was a century – it was a little hilly and it was really windy, what can I say.
  Bike computer showing 115.49 miles & 88 degrees F.

A couple of things that I’ve noticed today is the diversity of buildings along the route.  Here are a few examples.



In addition to what seems like hundreds of churches of every denomination.  I rode past the smallest Catholic Church in the world.  Folks around here really get in the Easter spirit big time, it seems that nearly everyone has some seasonal décor.  However, there was none so big as the farmer with these two giant hay bales stacked on each other to make the big bunny.


So far, I’ve had amazing luck by not having any catastrophic physical problems – yeah, the knees hurt some and so do the legs but Advil and ice seem to help.  Probably the most annoying problem is the heels of my hands from being against the handle bar for so many hours at a time – they are starting to blister it is difficult to find a comfortable riding position. And, oh, I thought that my butt was used to the bicycle seat – well maybe in another month.
Couldn't help but love this ranch sign. 

Good thing that I didn’t post this last night there was a line of “nnnnnn’s” as I fell asleep writing this blog.

1 comment:

  1. Way to go Bill! All your friends at DeVry are watching you make your way across Texas. Your itenerary is on my door. We mark off your progress daily, and really enjoy your blogs. Bought a new seat for my rode bike, a new chain, a new front gear, and should be ready to roll again shortly. God Bless. Be safe. (Gary)

    ReplyDelete