Wednesday, April 27, 2011

See Spot Run, See Spot Run After the Bicycle

Day 26, April 27, 2011, “See Spot Run, See Spot Run After the Bicycle”

77.3 miles averaging 13.1 mph

Route from Poplarville, to Bluff Creek RV Park, Vancleave,, MS

Best Moment – The weather forecast called for very stormy conditions starting around 11 am.  There was supposed to be a fairly high probability of thundershowers and strong gusty winds.  While it was certainly windy, cloudy and light rain did occasionally fall, there was nothing like I was expecting until several hours after I was safely here when the sky opened and we got a lot more rain and wind.


Worst Moment – No ice cream today.  The route today was incredibly beautiful, but also incredibly rural.  There were not any country stores to stop at for ice cream, Snickers or other sweet treat.  I had to be completely self reliant and just eat the healthy stuff that Neita gets for me to snack on.

Probably because of the nature of the roads that I’m cycling on, there will frequently be dogs that attack from either side of the rode and give chase.  Most of the time it is amusing and great sport for both the dog and for me.  However, if I’m having a difficult time with either the wind or hills it isn’t as much fun for me.  Today there must have been three or four different times when I was chased.  They never caught me, but one did come pretty close.

As I mentioned, the route today has been through an incredibly beautiful rural part of Mississippi.  It has been a bit of a challenge because these roads don’t have numbers or notices before the route changes so I have to be especially vigilant about street signs in order to stay on the route.




I went through part of the Harrison National Forest. I think that the Forest Service in the area really has its priorities right with the attached photo.  (The unfortunate part was that they also advertised it as a motorcycle route and the road was dirt.)


Bluff Creek is serene – no one is on the sandy beach - of course the weather is less than desirable.  The campground has some real Mississippi rednecks living here as permanent residents.



No comments:

Post a Comment