Sunday, April 3, 2011

Day 2 Astonishing Vistas - Disgusting Trash



Route from Apache Gold RV Resort to Sunrise RV Park in Safford.

75.7 miles of mostly down hill, with a few climbs and wonderful wind pushing me along.  Although when it was a cross wind instead of a tail wind things weren’t so wonderful.  Overall I averaged about 16.5 mph and got to Ruby around 1:30.  A good day.

Temperatures ranged from 68 when I left Globe to 100 in Pima, but it was at least a lot cooler than yesterday and since there wasn’t a lot of climbing and a tailwind, life was good!

Best moment – A tail wind not a head wind.

Worst moment – After seeing signs every half mile for about eight miles outside of Pima about Taylor Freeze and their ice cream, (24 + flavors) milkshakes and banana splits, they were closed (always on Sunday) when I finally got to the store.

Listening to William Faulkner’s Sanctuary – still

Now about the title – the vistas going from Globe to Peridot through the San Carlos Apache Reservation and the Gila River Valley were absolutely astonishing.  The scenery was much like you’d see in any of the old John Wayne western movies. One could easily imagine the cavalry galloping across from the mesas to the plains.

The tragedy is that the sides of the road are littered with every imaginable brand of beer and soda bottle, every kind of fast food drink cup and all manners of trash including pizza boxes.  (Pizza Boxes?!?!) I don’t know if you remember the ad some time ago with Native American with a tear streaming down his face because of the disrespect shown for such a beautiful country.  It is abhorrent.

State Route 70 is also known as The Old West Highway – where history still lives.

 Some of the great historical markers include:
The Geronimo Historical Marker
Fort Thomas – part of the US strategy to subdue the American Indians
And my personal favorite – the Melvin Jones historical marker.  (I know that the photo is terrible, but felt it should be here - one of Arizona's famous sons.)  By the way Globe is still claiming Rose Monfort - Arizona's first lady. Who was Melvin Jones, you might ask.  Well he was the guy who founded the Lions Club, which became the largest service organization internationally and worked to help preserve sight.  I still remember my dad selling light bulbs, the fundraiser for the Riverton Lions to help families purchase eye glasses.   I wonder if they still do that?



I’m still smiling because I can’t believe that I’m really getting to do this.  Thanks Neita and everyone who made this possible.  (check out Neita’s blog www.rubyandrocket.blogspot.com )


4 comments:

  1. I'm still with you in spirit, Bill. Today, I ordered a bulletin board and a US Map to keep track of your ride in my office. Everyone says Hi. (By the way, the guy in that accident we saw didn't make it. The accident made the news Sunday. Sad.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great thing you're doing, Bill! I'll be following along with you. :o)

    Don't forget to add a link on your blog to your donation page. I had trouble finding it!

    Good luck and stay well... I had a friend that did a trip from the west coast to east and he had an amazing time and some fun adventures.

    Jennifer Johnson (Walsh)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bill - I am highly anticipating your next post! Can't wait to read about all of your adventures along the way and to hopefully see you when you get to my part of the country!!
    -Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there Bill.... I tried posting a comment to Neita's website, too... just learning how! Got it posted. Now to try your website, as well. I really enjoyed reading your blogs up until now. Smart idea listening to good literature while you ride! It sounds as though all the sights have been amazing so far, except for that very unfortunate accident, and the litter. You are doing wonderfully; we are all very proud of you! Looking forward to the next entry, buddy.

    ReplyDelete