Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Day 11, Why am I Doing This?

Day 11, April 12, 2011, Why am I Doing This?

Route from Sanderson to Del Rio, TX (Three Rivers RV Park)

Rode 110.9 miles averaged 10.4
 Bottom Line of bike computer showing trip distance of 110.91 miles

Bottom line of bike computer showing average speed of 10.4 mph

This wind sucks, it really, really sucks.  What should have been a great downhill ride to Del Rio turned into a battle against the head wind.  I had to pedal really hard to get to 10 mph on a 3% down hill grade.  There has to be something wrong.  Maybe the brakes are on?  No, it was just the 25 – 35 mph winds coming from the east/southeast.

I wasn’t in much of a mood to stop for photos.  But then there wasn’t a lot to photograph either.  I didn’t take the route through Langtry to see the Judge Roy Bean Visitor Center – that would have been another two miles and while part would have been downhill, half would have been straight uphill.

I didn’t even stop to take a photo of the beautiful crossing of the Pecos River and it was really quite stunning.  The emerald green water was flowing through an amazing canyon.

Outside of Sanderson is where Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid robbed their last train.  There is a historical marker indicating the spot.  One can easily imagine how it all took place.  

Baxter's Curve Train Robbery Marker. 
Best Moment – Definitely, the best moment was arriving at the campground, having a cold beer, a warm shower and a great dinner waiting for me.  Thank you Neita.

Worst Moment – The worst moment was most of the day while the wind was blowing – wait that was all day long.

Listened to Sea of Glory – about a U.S. expedition to chart the Antarctic, the islands of the Pacific and the northwest coast of the US in 1839, and also got a good start on Jack London’s Sea Wolf.  Twelve hours is a long time.

While on the ride, I ate a banana, an orange, a granola bar, a bag of chips, a package of gel shots, a ham sandwich, three Milano cookies, a package of Grandma’s peanut butter cookies, and a Payday candy bar.  I drank two gallons of water; a can of Coke and a bottle of sports drink and was still famished and thirsty when I got to Ruby. I also had breakfast and a really great dinner.

Just wanted to let you all  know that I really appreciate your comments and well wishes!  Thank everyone. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bill! I've been reading your posts and following with you in spirit every day. You are so inspiring. Because of your inspiration I am starting to think more seriously about what I can do to make a difference, support others, and fulfill my own dreams. I feel that I have been a bit too lazy in the pursuit of my own fulfillment and in giving back. So, while you're battling those crazy winds (I hope you get a break soon!) know that mile by mile you are giving hope, inspiration, and motivation to others. Thank you!!
    -Kim

    ReplyDelete