Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Rain is Tess

Day 25, April 26, 2011,  “The Rain is Tess”

84.6 miles averaging 13.3 mph

Route from Independence, LA to Hass-Cienda Ranch, Poplarville, MS

Best Moment – Arriving at Ruby just before the rain hit again around 3:30 for a hard, but short rain shower.  Then being able to work on the real derailleur adjustments.  The bicycle school training came into good use – I think.  I’ll know for sure tomorrow.

Worst Moment – About 5:30 I woke up to the eerie glow of lightening and the ominous rumble of thunder.  By 6 it was raining in earnest.  This is the first rain day, and I must admit that I had some second thoughts about how much I really wanted to venture out in the shower.

Sometime during the hour or so of riding in the rain, as I was listening to the rain, traffic and birds, the old “Paint Your Wagon” show tune, “They Call the Wind Mariah,” came into my head.  "Away out here they have a name for Wind and Rain and Fire."  I know that it is pretty silly, but I had experienced the fire – Joe (in Texas), the rain – Tess (today), and more than enough wind – Mariah (most of the trip.)

After riding in a steady rain for about 90 minutes, things began to clear and dry up.  I spent most of the day riding through rural Louisiana into rural Mississippi.  There are beautiful farms/ranches, and timber.  The soil is red and sandy.  I collected quite a lot on my legs as the tires kicked up and coated me with dirt from the road.



Mississippi has dry counties – as you can see on the bottom line of the rules for the campground, “This is a dry county, please respect that.”  The sign certainly didn’t stop us from a glass of margarita when I got in.

1 comment:

  1. You are a brave (or foolish) man to ride in the rain for 90 minutes!

    ReplyDelete