Monday, April 11, 2011

Day 10, Windmills and Wide Open Spaces

Day 10! April 11, 2011, Windmills and Wide Open Spaces



Route from Ft Stockton to Sanderson, TX Canyons RV Park

I rode 64.4 miles and averaged 15.3 mph today, making my total for the trip so far 800!  Tomorrow is the first century of the ride.  Wish me luck.

Best Moment – Having Neita and Duncan join me at the roadside picnic table for lunch.  I was just finishing lunch, when I saw Ruby heading down the hill toward me and waved it down.  Neita pulled in ad stopped for lunch there as well.




Worst Moment – The worst moment again had to be the night.  The winds were so strong and gusty after dinner that I thought they could topple Ruby.   They certainly made her rock and roll.  Today’s winds were lighter, and fortunately for me tail winds.

Suzanne, the personable owner of the RV park told us that they have had no measurable rain in Sanderson since last July – no wonder that there is such danger of wildfires.

Just felt that you should know that one of the main sources of our information about the wildfires in Ft Davis and Alpine was the NPR station from Marpha.  Support our National Public Radio.  They provide a service that is above any that the regular networks and news channels do.

Todays route took me through a stunning part of Texas range and cattle land.  Views were as expansive as any I’ve seen.  This was coupled with windmills all over which I feel certain were used to bring up water for the cattle ranches.  I saw incredible ranches and lots of cattle.





Finished listening to Schulz and Peanuts.  What a humble, creative and Christian man Charles Schulz was – the book was a good story of his life and how the Peanuts characters changed over the 50 years of the strip.

No comments:

Post a Comment