Wednesday, April 20, 2011

This isn't Pima Road

Day 19, April 20, 2011

Route from Coldspring to Red Cloud RV Park, Silsbee, TX

71.6 miles averaging 13.1 mph

Best Moment – West Texas Style Bar-B-Que’s coconut cream pie for dessert.  After smelling barbeque for about two weeks we finally went to try a place recommended to us by the manager of the RV Park.  This was about a half mile from the park and an easy ride on Rocket.



Worst Moment – Neita wrecked Ruby and the “dump valve” is stuck open.  Getting to Silsbee wasn’t easy for Neita.  Her GPS was giving her really wacko directions on finding the RV Park.  Probably because there are a lot of parts to Hwy 96 N – like there is a S 96 N and Business 96 N and you get the picture.  Anyway somewhere in town she wiped out the mirror on the passenger side.

To make matters worse, the “dump valve” for the grey (thank heavens not the black) water had been stuck open since the last time I cleared the tanks in Bastrop.  When I tried to attach the hose, all the grey water started gushing out.  There is a guy here that makes “RV” calls and is supposed to be here tomorrow to get us back up and working. Let’s hope so.

The route went through some pretty amazing forested areas.  There is lots of timber and logging going on.  In fact this afternoon I was talking to one of the full time residents of the RV Park who is a maintenance guy for the paper mill in town.  This mill makes all of the paper for the Starbuck’s coffee cups.


I know that they have to get the wood from somewhere, but I’m still a bit of a tree hugger and wish that they wouldn’t clear cut as they had around this part of the state.

There have been lots of butterflies along the road.  I’ve seen several different varieties and though that these photos were pretty good.



This is the last night in Texas, (I hope).  After nearly 1100 miles and 14 nights we should be in Louisiana tomorrow!  What a lot of diversity in the state from the dry barren parts around El Paso where agriculture depends solely on the Rio Grande to the Hill Country, and now to the pine forests.  The climate has also really changed from being very dry to very humid.  As I leave Silsbee tomorrow, the humidity is projected to be near 100% (But there is no rain forecast – is there a difference?)

I’ve been listening to Sin in the Second City and interesting true story about a house of prostitution in Chicago during the early 1900’s.   Also, I finished listening to Silas Marner.  I’d read it in maybe Junior High, but it was much improved this time around.

I can’t begin to tell you how much I appreciate your comments, emails, texts, and calls – they really do mean a lot to me.  In case you are interested in making a donation in my name to the Lance Armstrong Foundation, here is my link.  I’ve raised $2500 so far over the two years of my campaign. http://grassroots2011.livestrong.org/billsbigride197

No comments:

Post a Comment