Monday, July 25, 2011

Emerald Ash Borer


Day 115, July 25, 2011, Emerald Ash Borer

Route from Thompson to Gladstone Bay Campground, Gladstone, MI

41.6 miles, averaging 13.3 mph

Worst Moment – The wonderful tailwind of yesterday turned into an ugly headwind today.  My fast pace of yesterday was significantly reduced and I struggled to keep it above 13 mph on the basically flat road around Lake Michigan.

Best Moment – I think I’ve found the yard artwork we need for our California backyard.  In the small town Rapid River, MI, I saw these wonderful yard sculptures.  Not sure that Neita will agree.  I’m not sure whether the name of the store was Mosquito’s or they were being cute. 


The store was closed and looked like it was for sale.  There is a lot of business opportunity here – lots of motor lodges, restaurants and other businesses are vacant and for sale.

For most of the trip through the east, there have been occasional, purple, triangle shaped, boxes hanging in the trees.  Today there were a lot of them – all along route 2.  (I know that in the photo, the box looks blue in this photo, but it is really purple.)  Anyway, I finally remembered to find out what they were.  According to a University of Maryland’s website, they are traps for the Emerald Ash Borer.  They hope not only to capture the pest but also track its migration to see if it is infesting other areas.


This is a very noxious pest and has been decimating forests throughout the east coast.  Originally from Russia and the Far East, the pest was originally found in Michigan and bores through the bark, killing the ash tree within 5 years. 

It is believed to spread partly by transporting firewood between states.  Most of the states have laws against importing firewood.  New York you might be required to show a receipt indicating where the firewood originated.  Another state required that campfire wood be kiln dried and the camper would have to produce proof that the wood came from a state approved vendor.  Sort of interesting since I see at least 2 or 3 roadside signs advertising, “camp wood for sale” every day. I wonder if this  wood is approved.  

We are again camped on Lake Michigan,  this time on Little Bay de Noc.  Earlier today I rode past Ogantz Bay, Indian Lake and Big Bay de Noc.   Lots of water views in this part of Michigan.


If you would like to donate to my ride, my link for the Lance Armstrong Foundation is http://grassroots2011.livestrong.org/billsbigride197.  I really appreciate your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment