Monday, July 11, 2011

Tough Day


Day 101, July 11, 2011, Tough Day

Route from Lewiston to Sheridan Bay Campground, Dunkirk, NY

98.5 miles, averaging 12.3 mph

Worst Moment – Today, there were lots of worst moments.

Best Moment – Taking the bicycle path along the Niagara River from North Towanda through Buffalo was really nice.  The views of Canada, the water, and the city were fantastic. 



Since the ACA (Adventure Cycling Association) route maps crossed into Canada, and went to Niagara Falls, I looked for alternative routes.  Google maps indicated that there was a bicycle path between the freeway and the river along nearly half the route that I would be on today.  I’ve already seen the Falls, and I didn’t want to have to deal with customs and crossing the bridges, so opted for this alternative.  

Some of the scenery was quite lovely, but it wasn’t always beautiful along the river, as seen in these photos of General Mills, and these abandoned elevators.



The area around South Buffalo was a little scary.  When I stopped for ice cream at a small independent ice cream store, the guy working the counter didn’t ring up the sale and charged over 10% sales tax.  May be a little bit of fraud going on there?

The Niagara section of the ACA map ended at the Bicycle History Museum in Orchard Park.  It was closed and had been for a couple of years.  It is sort of dismal to see the tattered US Flag still hanging in the front yard (all that is left is the banded edge of the flag) and the closed sign on the front door. 



Just outside of Orchard Park, the map directions indicated that I needed to turn left on Newton Road.  Well, Newton Road only went right.  On consultation with the GPS, it looked like there was a left-hand turn on Newton later on.  There wasn’t, I was misreading the GPS because the directions had me convinced that it was just a bit further.  Any way I really was off course before I got things figured out.  Got to see more ski areas and ski jump areas and do some unexpected climbing because of the detour.

After I got back on track, the route went along Lake Erie.  Pretty amazing to see all of the beautiful, waterfront estates.  The route was mostly flat, but by this time some hefty headwinds kicked up. At least we didn’t get the forecasted thunderstorms.  With all of the time spent looking for route directions, climbing and headwinds, I didn’t get to the campground shortly until after 5.  It was a tough day.  We are camped on the shores of Lake Erie.


Tomorrow, I cross through Pennsylvania and into Ohio.  Heading on west!  

If you would like to donate to my ride, my link for the Lance Armstrong Foundation is http://grassroots2011.livestrong.org/billsbigride197.  I really appreciate your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment