Thursday, July 7, 2011

Back in Texas?!?!

Day 97, July 7, 2011, Back in Texas!?!?

Route from Boonville to North Bay Campgrounds, Fulton, (SW of Texas) NY

80.5 miles, averaging 13.6 mph

Worst Moment – I don’t know why some motorists are so discourteous.  Around Pulaski, a woman was in such a hurry to get on Interstate 81 that she turned left right in front of me – good thing the breaks on the bike work good.

Best Moment – Fresh corn on the cob is soooo amazing.  There is a farm market nearly right across the street from the campground.  I got corn on the cob, tomatoes, and cherries.  Yum.



We’ve left the Adirondacks.  This morning was just a little bit of up hill; then a few ups and a few downs; then a gradual descent as I’m working my way to the Great Lakes region.  Still lots of water – beautiful lakes and lots of streams. 



Today’s ride was another near perfect bicycle experience.  The weather was perfect, with temps in the upper 70’s.  Most of the roads I had to myself, and the terrain was a fun challenge to see if I could get enough momentum going downhill to make it up the next hill without grinding the gears.

While I didn’t ride out to see it, I was only about a mile from Mexico Bay of Lake Ontario.  In the Mexico Bay area, I saw the sign for Texas.  Texas is also the name of a small town in New York and thank heavens it didn’t take as long to ride through as the state of Texas did.  (There is also a Phoenix, NY – just south of Fulton.  I didn’t go through it, but think that Neita did.)

The scenery sure has changed from the mountains of the eastern part of the state to the more rolling hills of this area.  I left the mountain forests for more agricultural and dairy areas of the state.

We are camped on North Bay of Lake Neatahwanta.  I’m sure Neita will have something to say about the similarity of the lake's name and hers.  You can check out her blog at http://www.rubyandrocket.blogspot.com   

If you would like to donate to my ride, my link for the Lance Armstrong Foundation is http://grassroots2011.livestrong.org/billsbigride197.  I really appreciate your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment