Sunday, July 3, 2011

Kancamagus Pass!


Day 92, July 2, 2011, Kancamagus Pass!

Route from Conway to Storr’s Pond Campground, Hanover, NH

99.1 miles, averaging 12.9 mph

Worst Moment – I guess that the only thing that may have tarnished today’s ride was the dread that I had about climbing the 2855-foot Kancamagus Pass.  This was over 2000 feet of climbing from the starting point. 

Best Moment – Meeting and talking with other cyclists. On my way up the pass, Paul asked where I was headed, and if I wanted someone to ride with.  We rode together for some time.  Today, he was planning some crazy 160-mile or so ride and was training for back to back double century rides – from his home in southern NH to the Canadian Border.  When the pass really got steep, he went on ahead.  Then later in the afternoon, we saw each other again when he was on his return trip.  Very cool! 

Another cyclist I met was at the top of the pass.  A solo rider from Wisconsin, she was trying to take the photo with the sign and get herself in the pic.  I stopped and offered to shoot the photo if she would return the favor.  She had ridden part of the Trans-America route with her children last year and was trying to finish it this year.  She is Spanish & History teacher and enjoys her summers bicycling – what a way to go.


Leaving Ruby, I was dreading the climb up the pass, and turned onto Passaconnoway Rd to only find about 6% grades on the most delightful forest road.  There was no traffic and the road followed the Swift River nearly to the top of the pass.  It was delightful to listen to the rushing water on the cool morning ride.  I did see several other cyclists – going the other way. 

Near the intersection with Hwy 112, I crossed the covered, wooden bridge – it was the second one that I’d seen.  This one had a fairly obvious warning bar across the road to keep any tall vehicles from trying the bridge. 

Leaving the summit of the pass, I flew down through the NH White Mountains.  The views were spectacular!  

What a great ride all of the way into Lincoln, a ski resort town.  There were a couple of other mountain passes – none as tall, but some steeper.  I could see into Vermont across the Connecticut River. What absolutely beautiful country this is!  Tomorrow, I’ll cross Vermont into New York.  Wow.


Around 9, the city of Hanover had their fireworks display.  They used a huge field near Storr’s Pond.  We could certainly hear the loud booms and bursts – they frightened Duncan – he’s pretty neurotic to begin with.  We saw the most beautiful aerial displays through the pine trees of the camp.  A great day!

If you would like to donate to my ride, my link for the Lance Armstrong Foundation is http://grassroots2011.livestrong.org/billsbigride197.  I really appreciate your support.




No comments:

Post a Comment