Tuesday, July 26, 2011

105 or 205 (Wisconsin or Michigan?)


Day 116, July 26, 2011, 105 or 205 (Wisconsin or Michigan?)

Route from Gladstone to Iron River RV Park, Iron River MI

105.5 miles, averaging 13 mph

Worst Moment – When I was verifying the route late last night I realized that we had reservations at Top O’ the Morning Campground in Iron River, Wisconsin and we were going to Iron River, Michigan.  The Iron River in WI was about 205 miles from where we were staying last night.  I knew it would be a long day headed west, but 105 miles to Iron River, Michigan is enough. 

When Neita called the Wisconsin campground to cancel, the woman tried to make her feel guilty.  “I turned down several reservations, because I was saving a site for you,” the woman told her.  I don’t know why things would be so different in Iron River, WI, but I only remember one campground that has been full on the whole trip.  (That campground was the KOA in the Finger Lakes area of NY and they were having an LDS family weekend.)

Best Moment – The biggest sense of relief came when Neita called to let me know that we had reservations at a place in Iron River, Michigan.  We are at the county park and it is really quite lovely – even has cable TV and WIFI.

Today, after Escanaba, I left the Great Lakes.  The high school has the Eskimo as their mascot – it really must be cold here.


The route was gradually uphill with the elevation being about 1500 feet here compared to about 500 feet on Lake Michigan.  That is it was gradual uphill until I got to Crystal Falls when the grades went from 3 – 4% grades to 8 – 10% grades and up and down instead of basically uphill.

Temperatures are wonderfully cool, but the headwind still plagued me most of the day.  The wind, the climbing, and the length of the ride really zapped my energy level.  We crossed into the Central time zone.  Now it will get dark earlier though I doubt that any amount of light will keep me awake tonight. 

Here are a couple of photos from the day.  



 Roadside flowers
Makes figuring out east or west easy

If you would like to donate to my ride, my link for the Lance Armstrong Foundation is http://grassroots2011.livestrong.org/billsbigride197.  I really appreciate your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment