Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Wish I Had an Adirondack Chair


Day 96, July 6, 2011, Wish I Had An Adirondack Chair

Route From Raquette Lake to Brown Barn Campground, Boonville, NY

59.7 miles, averaging 13.2 mph

Worst Moment – Neita told me that we were eating out tonight.  Boonville doesn’t have a lot of choices – other than pizza.  We finally settled on The Boonville Pub.  It had pizza as well as burgers.  The burgers were okay, but not anything like Goldie’s - guess we’re spoiled. Onion, tomato, mayo, and lettuce were $1 extra and if you wanted fries, they were an extra $2.

Best Moment – Staying nice and dry - Neita and I both made it to Boonville early today, around noon, and had everything set up before the downpour.  This area was hit with a violent thunderstorm.  I don’t remember seeing so much rain fall so fast.  There was a lightening strike close by as our neighbors lost power in their 5th wheel. 

More Adirondack glorious scenery.  Wish I had one of the chairs that the area made famous to be able to just sit and watch the lake, mountains and sky.  There wasn’t a lot of climbing some rolling ups and downs but the overall direction is downhill.  Again I was on mostly deserted roads and only on highways with very wide, smooth shoulders making for great riding. 




Again, I rode past lots of lakes and along lots of rivers.  Once, on the nearly deserted roads, there was a pair of deer that I nearly got close enough to get a photo of before they bolted into the woods.   

After the beautiful, touristy, mountain village of Old Forge, the countryside seemed to flatten out, and it appears that I may be nearly out of the Adirondacks.  For a long time I was along the Moose River seen in this photo. 


The campground is not anything like the past few.  It is very exposed.  The one unique feature is the huge brown barn.  I’m not really sure what they do with the barn, but the second floor is set up with tables and it looks like it may have been a restaurant.  The first floor also has vinyl covered picnic tables, two bars, 5 or 6 very old TV sets and lots of board and video games videos a pool and ping pong table.

I’m listening to an interesting autobiography by the great Broadway actress, Helen Hayes called My Life in Three Acts.

If you would like to donate to my ride, my link for the Lance Armstrong Foundation is http://grassroots2011.livestrong.org/billsbigride197.  I really appreciate your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment