Monday, July 25, 2011

Mackinac Bridge


Day 114, July 24, 2011, Mackinac Bridge

Route from Mackinaw City to Driftwood Shores Campground, Thompson, MI

96 miles, averaging 17.2 mph

Worst Moment – Today was such an awesome ride, I was a little disappointed that it ended.

Best Moment – The tailwind pushed me south at the fastest clip of the entire journey.  It was awesome!

Leaving Ruby before 7 this morning, I rode the few miles into town and the phone booth where the Bridge Authority will pick up bicyclists to transport them across the Mackinac Bridge.  I called the number given and was told that they would dispatch a driver to get me.  About 20 minutes later, a pick-up truck with the Mackinac Bridge Authority did a U-turn from the east/south bound lane of Interstate 75 to the phone booth.  I was on my way across the bridge.



I did get the driver, a reticent man, to talk a little about life in the UP (Upper Peninsula).   He had been working for the Bridge Authority for 13 years – a good job for the area, lived in St Ignace (because of gas prices) and said that there had only been two cars that went off the bridge.  One of the cars was a Yugo that really blew off the bridge and the other time, the driver actually drove off the bridge to commit suicide.  (Pretty effective.)  While only two cars have blown off the bridge, there have been some boats blown off their trailers (what a way to launch the skiff) and semis blown over on their sides. He told me that it is pretty quiet and very cold in the winter.

After crossing the bridge, I was on Route 2 the entire way south.  Most of the time the road followed the lakeshore, but occasionally went inland.  I had the amazing tailwind until the last few miles when the winds were sort of variable and sort of seemed to come straight at me. 


Neita passed me just outside of Gulliver and was amazed at my progress.  She went to a market and passed me again just outside of Manistique.  I was surprised to see her then.  I arrived at Driftwood Shores just after Neita did.  The campground is on Lake Michigan.  There doesn’t seem to be much of a beach, but beautiful views of the lake and bay. 


The forecast thunderstorms didn’t materialize today.  There was a very brief, light shower just as I was entering Manistique.  The temperatures are wonderfully cool.  We can actually have the windows open. 

If you would like to donate to my ride, my link for the Lance Armstrong Foundation is http://grassroots2011.livestrong.org/billsbigride197.  I really appreciate your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment