Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Water, Water Everywhere, So Why is Ruby Dry?


Day 131, August 10, 2011, Water, Water Everywhere, So Why is Ruby Dry?

Route from Rugby to Lucy’s Amusement Park, Minot, ND

69 miles, averaging 13.1 mph

Worst Moment – When I got to Minot, I called Neita to see if she needed me to pick up something at Walmart.  That’s when she told me that Ruby’s water pump wasn’t working.  Her brother had said that they go out and that it might be a good idea to have an extra one.  I went on to the campsite to get Rocket and go get a new water pump and a fuse.  I replaced those and the water pump still didn’t work.  Looks like sponge baths and gravity toilets tonight.


Best Moment – Joanne at Magic City RV was so very helpful with Ruby’s water problem.  When I went to get the water pump and fuse, she asked questions to help diagnose the problem.  After I replaced the pump and the fuse and the water still didn’t work, again Joanne tried to help me fix what was wrong.  When I was not able to, she checked with service and even called another RV service place to make sure that we would be able to get things looked at tomorrow.  It was great to have someone so helpful. 

Today’s ride was completely along Highway 2, which, even though it is a 4-lane road was a great road for bicycling.  The state has certainly had a lot of rain this year.  In places, the water came right up to the road.  In other places, I saw farm machinery that was stranded in water. 





Near Minot, I left Hwy 2 for a less traveled road only to find that it was closed as I got closer to the city.  I imagine that a bridge over the Souris River had been washed away.  As things worked out, I got back to Hwy 2 near the ND State Fairgrounds.  It is truly amazing the damage and destruction caused by the flooding in the area.  Near the curb, there were piles of rubbish that had been removed from homes and businesses affected by the water.   Minot’s zoo was closed.   

Because of the flooding, we had a very difficult time finding anyplace to camp for the night.  Some of the RV Parks were wiped out with the floods.  Others are filled with local residents whose homes were damaged and are now living in RV’s.  The destruction is heartbreaking. 

Neita, with her convincing manner, and by asking, calling, and asking again, finally was told that we could park at Lucy’s amusement park.  Lucy’s is a miniature golf course, though there are mobile homes parked in front of the fun park.  We are parked between Lucy’s garage and her vegetable garden (which has wonderful looking tomatoes, but needs weeding.)  This isn’t a normal thing that they do.  In fact we have to go into the garage to connect our power.

If you would like to donate to my ride, my link for the Lance Armstrong Foundation is http://grassroots2011.livestrong.org/billsbigride197.  I really appreciate your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment