Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Feeling Blue


Day 136 & 137, August 15 & 16, 2011, Feeling Blue

Route from Bozeman, MT to Jackson Hole Campground, Wilson, WY & Ruby to the laundry and Ruby to Calico Restaurant

Worst Moment – I was really feeling depressed today.  The reality that I may not be able to ride through Idaho, Washington, and Oregon is beginning to settle in.  Though, there is yet an alternative plan to salvage at least part of the ride.  We’ll have to see how the hand heals.  As it is now, I wouldn’t be able shift or brake the bike – not good.

Best Moment – The campfire didn’t smoke!  I don’t know if the wood was extra dry or the breeze was blowing the smoke in the other direction, but tonight’s campfire after dinner was one of the best ever.  Once the sun goes down, the mountain air becomes chilly and the fire feels great.  (It was 39 degrees this morning in Jackson! BRRRRR!)


The aches are subsiding and the road rash is beginning to disappear.  I still have a nasty bruise and scab where the mirror hit the back of my left arm.  The worst is my hand – the swelling isn’t going away.  Even though I’m right-handed, I’m finding how difficult life is with only one hand.

Yesterday, we left Bozeman on Hwy191 along The Gallatin River, across the Continental Divide into West Yellowstone and through part of Yellowstone Park.  We went by Old Faithful, climbed the 8262-foot Craig Pass, and drove along Yellowstone Lake.  We saw elk, deer and a lot of other tourists.  Simply gorgeous!


Yellowstone National Park was created by The Organic Act, which was passed by Congress in 1872, to “preserve matchless natural wonders.”  What foresight that post-antebellum legislature had.  Yellowstone and The Grand Teton National Parks are matchless in their beauty. 

There were a couple of cyclists loaded for touring grinding uphill.  I was a little jealous of their ability to ride, but the ones that I was most envious of were the two we passed stopped by the side of the road, admiring the view of the Tetons.  It brought back fond nostalgic memories of my bicycle trip in the area 37 years ago with several friends.  About 6 or 7 of us drove up from Casper for the weekend, camped at Flagg Ranch and cycled along the Tetons.



The drive was long and challenging.  Neita does an amazing job of piloting Ruby!  I don’t think that I’d be able to drive this beast with the finesse she does.  The roads through the park are not Interstate Highways, but fairly narrow mountain roads –with lots of other motorhomes all over the place.

Today, we just stayed around the campground.  Neita was very ambitious and shampooed Ruby’s carpet.  It now looks amazing, after 4 months of use.  I was a slug and didn’t do much – I did do a load of laundry. 

The other evening we watched a very entertaining DVD – Cedar Rapids.  Going into Jackson tomorrow on the bus.  The bus has a 50% Senior Citizen Discount for people over 60!  There are some advantages to getting old!

If you would like to donate to my ride, my link for the Lance Armstrong Foundation is http://grassroots2011.livestrong.org/billsbigride197.  I really appreciate your support.

1 comment:

  1. Bill,
    Sorry to hear about the accident, we've been following your ride now for weeks. Best wishes to you for a speedy and complete recovery; tail winds and friendly roads for the remainder of your journey!

    Warmest regards to you and Neita,
    Roger Grace
    ManageYourRide.com

    ReplyDelete