Friday, August 12, 2011

Big Crash

Day 133, August 12, 2011, Big Crash

Route from Ross to Buffalo Trails Campground, Williston, ND

At least 26 via bicycle, some via ambulance, and the rest in Ruby

Worst Moment – Probably the worst moment of the entire trip is when I was hit by the passenger side mirror of a passing motorist.  I heard a loud WHUMP and thought, “SHIT, I’ve been hit by a car.”  And that’s all I remember until looked up to see people standing over me.

Best Moment – The best moment was in the ER when I was released.  The accident wasn’t more serious than it was.

After an early morning of lots of lightening, thunder, and torrents of rain, I started out a little late, but with clearing skies and beautiful views of the rolling hills of North Dakota.  I remember checking the odometer and saw that even with the hills, I was averaging around 14 mph.

I was as far to the right as possible when I was hit.  It seemed like there were people over me immediately.  I know the driver stopped, as did several other people.  (Highway 20’s speed limit is 70 mph.)  I think that I was surprised that there were so many people trying to make me comfortable.

The ambulance arrived pretty quickly and I got to take my first (and I hope last) ambulance ride.  The really amazing thing is I only have a broken left hand, (it’s in a cast) a pretty severe case of road rash on my left hip and some general bumps and bruises.  My bike appears to be okay!  My helmet is destroyed and my clothing has a few extra holes.

I know it is hard to tell from this photo, but the foam is totally fractured



The emergency room staff, the ER doctor, and the paramedics were amazing.

I’m not sure what will happen to the rest of Bills Big Ride.  We’re headed to Jackson, Wyoming for nearly two weeks.  I’ll have another x-ray in a week and we’ll decide what to do then.  It won’t be a complete perimeter ride, but it will be - has been one heck of a Big Ride.  Typing one handed is really tough.  (James, I’ll never understand how you do it with just two fingers.)

If you would like to donate to my ride, my link for the Lance Armstrong Foundation is http://grassroots2011.livestrong.org/billsbigride197.  I really appreciate your support.

6 comments:

  1. How scary but I'm glad to hear you are ok & still smiling! At least Neita has not switched any of the keys on the keyboard...yet lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear!!!! Just think how lucky you are that it was not worse. Keep us informed of how you are doing please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you're okay!! And thank goodness for that helmet! Better that it took the beating. I hope you recover well and quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you are okay. How scary and very lucky that you were not more seriously injured. Those helmets are amazing. Dave had a bad crash and we know for sure the helmet saved his life because he hit a rock - helmet was destroyed.

    Enjoy Jackson, it is a beautiful place. Hope you are able to do a bit more bike riding, although with a broken hand it may be a little tough...

    ReplyDelete
  5. So relieved it was no worse than that. We are thinking and praying for you. Keep up posted and we hope to see you soon. Heal quickly !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Take care of yourself! Know that you are in our thoughts and prayers and we are very proud of you! Even if you don't finish - it is still one heck of a journey. Love, Bob and Maureen.

    ReplyDelete