Saturday, August 27, 2011

The Family’s Arrived!


Day 146 & 147, August 25 & 26, 2011, The Family’s Arrived!

Worst Moment – After seeing the orthopedic doctor on Thursday, the status of the ride is still uncertain.  The doc indicated that the fracture will take 6 weeks to heal and I shouldn’t put any weight or stress on the hand in that area, but if cycling was critical to my emotional well being, I might be able to do some.  I need the swelling in the hand to go down to see how things will feel back on the bike.

Best Moment – On Thursday, Chris & Casey arrived – They are so much fun to have around!  Today, Neita’s brother, Ron arrived with their sister, Paula.  That was a big surprise.  We had expected Ron to come with his wife, but she had to work and Paula had decided to surprise Neita some time ago.  Then my sisters, Sue, Mary, and Sue’s husband Alan arrived.  We had been planning a family reunion since early in the trip –it is so great to see everyone!

Thursday I got a new splint for my hand.  It is okay to get it wet and gives me more freedom in movement.  All of the pieces of the bone are still aligned very well so the doctor was pleased about that.  I need to go back to an orthopedic doctor in about ten days.


Once the Chris & Casey arrived, things have been very busy.  We’ve been to the Cowboy Bar twice, ridden on the alpine slide, and shown the kids and Ron and Paula around the town.  I even found a new Bicycle helmet on sale at one of the local sporting goods stores.

Sue and Alan made us a dutch-oven dinner tonight. There were three dishes cooked in these ovens –dessert, pork roast with a spiced rob and potatoes.  It was awesome! After dinner, we sat around the campfire roasting super-sized marshmallows (one of these monsters is the size of three normal ones) and eating s’mores.


Tomorrow two of my cousins are coming for a visit.  And we are going white water rafting.  Should be lots of fun!

If you would like to donate to my ride, my link for the Lance Armstrong Foundation is http://grassroots2011.livestrong.org/billsbigride197.  I really appreciate your support.

1 comment: