Thursday, August 25, 2011

Happy Hour @ 9000 Feet


Day 144 & 145, August 23 & 24, 2011, Happy Hour @ 9000 Feet

Worst Moment – It’s now been nearly two weeks since I’ve been on a bicycle – the longest time without a ride for a long time.

Best Moment – Our friends, Tom & Suzanne planned to meet us when the ride arrived in Jackson.  They are in town now – we spent all day Tuesday with them, showing them around the town of Jackson and the ski area of Teton Village.


After 4:30, The Deck – a bar at the end of the gondola ride in Teton Village, has happy hour and features half priced drinks – they even have free gondola rides!  What a view!  Naturally, the place is very crowded, but with patience, we finally spot a group getting ready to vacate their table and we made our move to claim the table.



From that vantage point, high on the mountain, one can see the entire valley of Jackson Hole.  It is spectacular!  I believe that I once heard Teton Village has the greatest vertical drop of any US ski area.  (Certainly more than the ski areas I cycled through back east.)  The tram will take one to the top – over 10,000 feet.

Today, we really lazed around.  I’m reading a good book about India, called A Fine Balance, by Rohinton Mistry.  A onetime Oprah Book Club selection, it is a wonderful story about four people and their lives from 1975 to 1984 and the challenges of the caste and social classes that still existed.

Tomorrow is going to be an eventful day! 

·      Chris and Casey should arrive late afternoon.  We can hardly wait to see them.  This is the longest time ever that we’ve been apart.  They are staying with us in Ruby through Sunday! 
·      Also, I go to the orthopedic doctor in the afternoon to have my hand looked at and hopefully a different kind of cast put on that will let me do more – like white water rafting and bicycling!

If you would like to donate to my ride, my link for the Lance Armstrong Foundation is http://grassroots2011.livestrong.org/billsbigride197.  I really appreciate your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment