Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Center of the Continent


Day 130, August 9, 2011, Center of the Continent

Rest Day

Worst Moment – At dinner, Neita and I were discussing the route change, and she mentioned that the route didn’t change after Jackson, WY.  She was very unhappy with me when I told her that it did.  I thought that she would see that in the revised spreadsheet that I sent her.  She had spent much of the morning working on the changes prior to Jackson.

Best Moment – I spoke with the owner of the bicycle shop in Williston, ND about my touring bicycle and asked if he would be able to take a look at it.  He mentioned that he was planning on going camping with his family and was hoping to leave work early on Friday, but would wait until I got there so he could get that bicycle back on the road.  He also advised me that Route 2 was probably a better road than the way the Adventure Cycle maps have routed me.  Less scenic, but better roads and more direct.

Today was a great rest day and there was not much to do.  I was able to get my hair cut, do laundry and rest. 

Rugby is a small North Dakota town and the, nearly 3,000 residents take a lot of pride in their community.  All off the homes I saw were well maintained and the gardens very beautiful.  In talking with the woman who cut my hair, she mentioned how unusual all of the water is – even western North Dakota is green.  She had grown up in a small community north of here and couldn’t imagine living anywhere other than North Dakota.

The geographic center of the North American Continent is at the center of Highway 2 and State Route 3.  We can see this monument from Ruby.



If you would like to donate to my ride, my link for the Lance Armstrong Foundation is http://grassroots2011.livestrong.org/billsbigride197.  I really appreciate your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment