Thursday, August 4, 2011

Paul Bunyan and Babe


Day 125, August 4, 2011, Paul Bunyan & Babe

Route from Grand Rapids to KOA Kampground, Bemidji, MN

95.3 miles, averaging 13.5 mph

Worst Moment – County Road 91 dead-ended, and there wasn’t any visible indication of where the route was supposed to go.  It looked like was supposed to turn right, but that road was dirt.  I was waiting for the GPS to give an indication of the right route when ---- see Best Moment.



Best Moment – As I was waiting for the GPS to show where I was, a guy pulled over to ask if I needed directions and where I was heading.  I told him I was looking for CR 39, he told me that it was the road under construction, but it would intersect with Hwy 12 in about 4 miles.  He took time to let me know that if I went the other way, I could still get to Bemidji.  People in Minnesota are very friendly!

The weather alert for the area is calling for a “high pollen advisory.”  Guess that shouldn’t be a surprise since there are so many things blooming – like all the goldenrod.   Lots of more lakes – my favorite name so far – Lake Winnibigoshish.


I’m riding into Bemidji along the lake and there is Babe, the Blue Ox and Paul Bunyan.  Across the street from the park is the Paul Bunyan Plaza.  It looked like they were getting ready fro some sort of street fair.  The city looks very bicycle friendly. They have huge bicycle lanes and great bicycle racks. 



But bicycles aren’t supposed to be on Hwy 2 through town.  This wasn’t good for me since KOA was on the other side of town on Hwy 2 and my GPS was sending me that way. The alternative I could see was about 15 miles longer.  

Not far from the entrance ramp to Hwy 2 was Bike Guy Ski and Bicycle Shop.  I needed some chain lube, and other stuff, so stopped in and also asked for directions.  He told me the fastest way to get to KOA and avoid the section of the road bicycles aren’t supposed ride.

If you would like to donate to my ride, my link for the Lance Armstrong Foundation is http://grassroots2011.livestrong.org/billsbigride197.  I really appreciate your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment