Sunday, August 21, 2011

Boxer's Fracture


Day 140 & 141, August 19 & 20, 2011, Boxer’s Fracture

Just around Jackson Hole

Worst Moment – We had an incredible thunderstorm late this afternoon.  It came up quite quickly and we hadn’t stored Ruby’s awning.  So in the wind (so strong it snapped our tie-down), rain and hail, Neita and I were trying to keep the canopy from being destroyed.  We managed to preserve the awning but got really soaked in the process.

Best Moment – Taking off the splint in the Urgent Care Center yesterday felt so good.  I was able to wash my hand and arm for the first time in a week. They told me that I now can take the splint off in order to take a shower – no more garbage bags around my arm in the shower!


Neita and I took the bus into town yesterday.  She went to the salon for a pedicure and a haircut.  I went to the Urgent Care Center to have my hand evaluated and x-rays.  From the bus stop, I could wait for the free local shuttle, or hike about a mile.    It was a great walk.

After getting checked in and a bit of a wait, I got to see the doctor – woman from Iowa, with friends who were planning to do RABRAI on a tandem (Register’s Annual Bicycle Across Iowa).  She understood my desire to get back on the bike.

New x-rays were taken and she confirmed I had a Boxer’s Fracture.  So named because this injury normally occurs when hitting something with a fist – in my case, I hit the ground with my hand wrapped around the handlebars. (Kim had already told me that was what it was.)  The 5th metacarpal is broken in three places, but look well aligned and is healing.  The doctor referred me to an orthopedic doctor who I see on Thursday.

Guess that I won’t do the Around the Block ride in Jackson this Saturday.  This is a 109-mile ride that climbs the 8442-foot Teton Pass and goes through Victor and Swan Valley, ID before heading back to Wyoming and Jackson.  In fact, the status of the rest of the ride is still uncertain.  The doctor I saw thought that the orthopedic doc may be able to cast my hand differently to allow the use of my thumb and first two fingers while immobilizing my ring and pinkie finger. 

Stay tuned.  I have to admit that another concern is that it’s now been eight days since I’ve been on a bike and all the conditioning and training is going away.

We’ve been enjoying the beauty of the Tetons and Jackson.  Before the storm, we walked to a small organic market about a mile from the campground.  We were on the bike path, which parallels the road to Teton Village and goes past a very pretty golf course.  





If you would like to donate to my ride, my link for the Lance Armstrong Foundation is http://grassroots2011.livestrong.org/billsbigride197.  I really appreciate your support.

1 comment:

  1. Good news is it takes about 3 weeks before significant loss of conditioning. Good luck!

    Rob

    ReplyDelete