Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Wet Smoke

Day 39, May 10, 2011, Wet Smoke

88.1 miles, averaging 13.7 mph

Route from Chokoloskee Island to Southern Comfort RV Resort, Florida City, FL

Actually a photo from yesterday of our campsite on Chololoskee Island that wouldn't load to the blog.

Best Moment – While waiting for the smoke to clear out a bit over Hwy 41, I took a hike on one of the walking trails and went through a pretty amazing forest.  I was able to actually see bromeliads growing naturally – on a tree.


Worst Moment – There is a huge wildfire burning in the Big Cypress National Preserve – just north of the Everglades.  Lots of wildlife has been trapped by the fire and those fighting it aren’t certain when they will be able to contain it let alone to put it out.  The drought here is terrible.  I was talking to one of the rangers who said that the water level is about 8 feet lower than normal. This walk used to be over water and the plain you see was underwater.  



The Ranger suggested that I wait awhile before I cycle through the area to give the winds a chance to move some of the smoke away and to have the sun burn off the fog. Even waiting an hour or so, there was still limited visibility and a very wet smoky smell.

One of the things that the Everglades can boast is the nation’s smallest Post Office being the Ochopee Post Office.  It is still in operation and serves residents in a three county area including deliveries to the Seminole and Miccosukee Native Americans who live in the area.


The Everglades still has its tourist traps.  There were several places where one could see alligator wrestling or other “authentic” displays of natural, sociological or historical significance.  Right!  



A real gator! – I saw this guy (or gal) just off the shoulder and thought I’d stop to snap the photo.  Just after taking it, the critter splashed and dove underwater – headed, I was certain, toward me.  I jumped back on the pedals and got away from the area.  Much of the roadside has water along the edge and frequently, one can see the alligators sunning themselves on the opposite bank.


Coming into Florida City I went past acres of farmland with tomatoes, corn and an abundance of plant nurseries.  Every imaginable houseplant (for most of us) was growing in pots outside and for sale cheap.

Tomorrow we head for the Keys!  I took what should have been a rest day and moved it ahead a couple of days in order to spend more time in the Keys.  Also tomorrow, I get to go back to the Adventure Cycling Route Maps!  Yeah!  Cycling on major roadways, because I don’t know the small country roads has been a challenge.  I’ve been extra alert and careful and still feel a bit threatened by the traffic. 

1 comment:

  1. I wish that we could send some water from the flooding up here to Big Cypress National Preserve. Our lake, Lake Champlain, is way above normal level and many homes and areas are very flooded on both the VT and NY sides (and in Canada). We need a way to suck up the water and transport it down to areas that have drought.
    Glad you are seeing some interesting places, and that you got away from that alligator! :o)

    ReplyDelete