Thursday, May 5, 2011

I Saw My First Gator


Day 33, May 4, 2011, I Saw My First Gator!

95.2 miles averaging 15.7 mph

Route from Tallahassee to Nature’s Coast RV Park, Steinhatchee, FL


Best Moment – There was a tail wind all day today which brought back the pure delight in cycling.

Worst Moment – Direct TV has really got things messed up.  Okay I know that probably not many people have satellite television and travel around the country through all four time zones; but since our account is registered in AZ, we get the west coast channels and there is no changing it.  American Idol doesn’t even start until 11 p.m.  Why do we need satellite if we never watch it because the programs come on too late?  Neita tried changing the address to our neighbors from NJ, but we still get west coast programming.  A really stupid system.

The route today was half four lane, but not too busy state highways and half little narrow but deserted county roads.  Along the deserted county road, I saw the first alligator that I’ve seen in the wild. I didn’t really know what to do, there was a bit of a swampy area between me and it and I wanted to take its photo, but didn’t really want to stop either.  It all happened so fast but before I had a chance to do anything it left the bank and went into the swamp for a swim.  I kept on riding.

Still see lots of evidence of the lumber industry here.  Several semis passed me carrying wood chips.  Their pungent fresh cut wood fragrance just smells so good!  


I went though the sea grass marshes where you could sort of see the ocean.  One time I rode down a dirt road just to see if I could really see the ocean.  I could but one wasn’t supposed to be there since it was a private road.  Part of the scenery was like a jungle on either side of the road.  I can’t imagine how anyone would get through the undergrowth, or want to for that matter.




Because of the tailwind, I arrived at Nature’s Coast fairly early in the day.  Neita was just getting things set up. This is a beautiful setting on a small pond, not too far from the Gulf – I guess though it is difficult to know for certain. The park only has room for about 15 RV’s, but it looks like there will only be one other here tonight.  


There is a gas/convenience store/diner across the street called Casey’s Cove – cute.  (Sure hope our Casey calls her mom today.)  Almost the best moment of the day was the homemade ice cream that they sell in the RV park’s office.  The fresh Georgia peach was to die for and the butter pecan not too bad.  

1 comment: