Monday, May 23, 2011

Georgia Pines


Day 52, May 23, 2011, Georgia Pines

72 miles, averaging 16.4 mph

Route from Folkston to Beaver Creek Campground, Jesup, GA

Best Moment – The iced watermelon Neita had in Ruby when she arrived was a special treat especially after a day of 104 degree temperatures.

Worst Moment – Riding to the sidewalks for self-preservation again I was surprised when I came to a curb that didn’t have the cutout for wheel chairs and bicycles was quite a surprise.  Not a lot of fun on any bike but really not fun on the Cannondale. Though having flat tires always should be a "worst moment," I am sort of getting used to them.  I was able to change the one on the rear tire today in about 10 minutes. 

At 7 this morning, as I was leaving the campground we stayed at last night, the manager came out to ask me what I was doing in the campground and if she could help me?   I let her know that I had spent the night in the red motorhome and was getting ready to leave.  “Oh,” she said, “I didn’t know you was with them.”


Just outside the campground was this interesting sign.  Wonder if they mean alcohol?   I’m not really sure what alchol is.  Shirley, at the Beaver Creek Campground told us that down around Folkston, is the area known for moonshine and marijuana. 


The road this morning was a nice two-lane highway through the Georgia pines.  I had the fresh pine scent for most of the way to Jesup.  From Folkston to the town of Jesup is only about 60 miles and that is sort of what I had anticipated the ride would be – around 60 miles.  


When I got to Jesup, I searched for the address of Beaver Creek Campground and found I still had another 12 miles to go.  Bummer!  As it was I still beat Neita here though she arrived about 15 minutes later.  

No comments:

Post a Comment