Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Tallahassee is also Pretty


Day 32, May 3, 2011, Tallahassee is Quite Pretty

No miles - rest day

Route from Tallahassee RV Park to Downtown Tallahassee and Back on Rocket

Best Moment – It was a restful day – think I’m ready for tomorrow.

Worst Moment – I could only eat one Mud Pie.   It was MmmMmmMmm good!


Since it was a day off the bicycle, things were much more relaxed.  Neita fixed a great big breakfast while I consulted the map of where to go to “see the sights.”  The tourist magazine had a fairly decent map to give us a general idea of where we were and where we needed to go, but thank heavens for GPS.  Without it, I certainly would have had us end up in Georgia.

One of the attractions of Tallahassee, in addition to being the state capitol, is they have several “Canopy Drives.”  What that really means is that the trees and moss have grown together over the road to form a canopy.  There were several of them advertised. We went on one.



After touring the canopy roads, I got gas for Rocket – the first time since Del Rio, Texas.  I just wish that Ruby were as fuel-efficient as Rocket is.  With all of our exploring, it only took just over a gallon to fill the scooter.

We found the mall to catch a real movie.  I had really enjoyed the audio book Water for Elephants and have wanted to see the film ever since I heard that it was being made for the big screen (with Reese Witherspoon, no less.)  I think that other than a Florida Book Club, we were the only people in the theater.  Tickets all day on Monday and Tuesday are only $5 each – sweet.  

Since it was a matinee, we still had lots of daylight left to explore downtown Tallahassee and have dinner before it gets dark.  I don’t really like the idea of driving Rocket after dusk. 

We explored the capitol area the city has beautiful parks and pedestrian areas.  In our walking about we found Harry’s Bar where we decided to have dinner.  It was probably one of the best meals out of the trip so far.  The dessert certainly was awesome – even though there are two spoons on the plate, don’t think that I had much help with the Mud Pie.  





No comments:

Post a Comment