Wednesday, May 18, 2011

They're Baaack


Day 46, May 17, 2011, They’re Baaack

95.5 miles, averaging 14.5 mph

Route from Hobe Sound to Outdoor Resorts Melbourne Beach, FL

Best Moment – In Vero Beach, I stopped at the best ice cream place.  The toasted coconut was unlike any I had ever tasted.  It had lots and lots of coconut.

Worst Moment – The love bugs are back and have found reinforcements.  On the west coast of Florida, they didn’t bother me too much other than having to clean them off the RV.  Today it was a different story.  They landed on my sandwich at lunch, my ice cream cone at break, and my water bottle, route map, and all over me all day long.

The really creepy thing is that our camper from last night with the full sized refrigerator was gone this morning.  He completely packed up during the night and left the campground, but left the refrigerator.  I could imagine that he was a serial killer and the fridge was stocked with body parts or something like that.  Neita asked if I’d looked inside.  No way.

One of the park rangers came by before Neita left and opened the door – it was empty. 


The route went past miles and miles of beach and condos and homes.  The beaches are just as beautiful, though different – there’s less tropical foliage and more that are grassy, but still amazing. 



From the looks of things, Florida’s real estate has been hit as hard as much of the rest of the country.  Beautiful development projects have been abandoned before completion.

In Stuart, while a bit off the route, I found this McDonalds.  I would have thought that this style restaurant had been retrofitted.


The beach at the RV park is very nice.  I can’t imagine why there weren’t more folks using it.



No comments:

Post a Comment