Thursday, September 1, 2011

Two Too Short Rides


Day 151 & 152, August 30 & 31, 2011, Two Too Short Rides

Route around Jackson Hole

26 miles, averaging 15.8 mph on Aug 30 & 12.7 miles, averaging 13.8 mph on Aug 31





Worst Moment – Chris called late tonight to let us know that his home had been broken into.  They took some cash and a Play Station 3, but the really creepy thing is that they ate some of his food and even had a fire in his outdoor fire pit.  It’s only like 110 in Phoenix.  When he got home, the coals were still warm.

Best Moment – I’ve really enjoyed getting back on the bicycle and riding - even though the rides are short.

Yesterday, I found an amazing road going east out of the town of Wilson.  It ran along the base of the Tetons.  I had mountains on one side and a stream on the other side of the road.  So beautiful!  There were even a few hills.  After about 8 miles the pavement ended, but I think that the road is actually another road to Teton Village.

My hand is still swollen and in a splint.  I can move my thumb and first two fingers.  Now, I’m even able to sort of type two handed and can tie my own shoes albeit slowly. 

Bicycling anything with much of a challenge, traffic, lots of stops, or hills is still not something that I should take on.  The splint on my left hand prevents me from changing gears or braking.  Also, because of the broken bone, I really can’t put much weight on the hand to grip the handlebars, which presents a bit of a challenge in steering the bike.

I’ve an appointment with a doctor in Healdsburg, CA on Tuesday.  When I see him, it will have been nearly 4 weeks since the Big Crash and, hopefully things will have healed enough to be able to have a less restrictive splint.  Then I would continue the ride from there back to Phoenix.  I’m really hoping that I’ll be able to do that, but it really depends on the hand. 

Meanwhile, we are still planning on being back in Phoenix on October 9th one way or another.  Neita and I are both looking forward to seeing friends and family before our move to the Russian Bonita (what had been our vacation home is going to be our permanent residence) in Guerneville, CA.

If you would like to donate to my ride, my link for the Lance Armstrong Foundation is http://grassroots2011.livestrong.org/billsbigride197.  I really appreciate your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment