Saturday, September 17, 2011

Not There Yet


Day 164 – 168, September 13 – 16, 2011, Not There, Yet

Route from campground to Duncan’s Mills, twice

54.7 miles, averaging 14.4 mph

Worst Moment – I’ve frequently thought about the stranger who bought my coffee in Shalotte, NC on day 60 of the Big Ride.  I wish that I could be more like her. 

I had the perfect opportunity today to provide a random act of kindness and didn’t take it.  At the bakery in Duncan’s Mills, the woman behind me in line was going to purchase one of their prepared sandwiches and presented her credit card for payment.  Well the bakery doesn’t take credit cards and the woman didn’t have cash.  They made her leave the sandwich on the counter.  I really should have offered to pay for her, and I even considered making the offer at the time, but I didn’t.  I realize that the kindness exhibited by the woman in North Carolina will take some work to nurture.  I am disappointed that I’m not there, yet. 

Best Moment – Cinnamon rolls with cream cheese frosting at the Duncan’s Mills Bakery are amazing!

I didn’t ride for two days, hoping that my hand would start getting back to its normal size.  It still has a ways to go.  Then I did ride for two days and may have taken a step backwards.  Guess that healing things just take longer than I want to admit.  The good news is that I’m able to discern that there really are four knuckles on my left hand.  Also, typing two handedly is getting easier.  But it’s not there yet.

The road to Duncan’s Mills is wonderful.  Mostly flat, it follows the Russian River and provides wonderful views of the hills and homes on the river.  This really is a wonderful place!

Yesterday, I rode out by myself and took a detour up to Armstrong Woods – the state redwood preserve just outside of Guerneville.  Today, Neita joined me and we went to Duncan’s Mills and back.  As we rode closer to the coast around noon, we could see the fog waiting to pounce back into the river valley.  This happened both days and the temperature, which was just over 70 near Guerneville, plummeted to 59 at Duncan’s Mills.  To make things even more of a challenge, there was quite a headwind as we went west.  Then after our break, the wind seemed to be coming from the east.  Headwinds both coming and going – yuck.

The Big Ride into Phoenix is coming on October 2nd.  Stay tuned for details.   I will be riding from Wickenburg to where it all began in Paradise Valley, and would love for people to join me. 

If you would like to donate to my ride, my link for the Lance Armstrong Foundation is http://grassroots2011.livestrong.org/billsbigride197.  I really appreciate your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment