Saturday, September 3, 2011

Last Night in Jackson


Day 153 & 154, September 1 & 2, 2011, Last Night in Jackson

Route around Wilson, WY, on Fish River and Fall River Roads.




24.8 miles, averaging 14.7 mph

Worst Moment – On the incredibly beautiful Fall River Road, just west of Wilson, I realized that I really need to have this hand healed before I can consider any serious cycling.  The road had a fair amount of hills so it would have been nice to be able to shift and brake with my left hand, but even worse is that I don’t have the stability on the bike because of the splint and my inability to put weight on the left hand.

Best Moment – Thursday evening, Neita and I had another wonderful dinner at the Snake River Grill in Jackson.  I had the blackberry pie with caramel ice cream for dessert.

While looking for bicycle paths around Jackson, I saw that there was a road that sort of followed the Snake River on its north side for several miles before the pavement ended.  It was a recommended bicycle path.  On Thursday, I decided to give it a try.  The photos don’t even come close to showing the beauty of the area.  I would have certainly followed the road to the end had I not been wary about my ability to adequately control the bike on the hills both up and down. 

It is really starting to get cold in Jackson.  This morning it was 32 when I woke up and similar temperatures are forecast for tonight.  Seems like there was a switch thrown somewhere at the end of August.  Even the daytime temperatures, which had been in the eighties, are now in the low 70’s and even the 60’s.

I washed the red, lower part of Ruby this afternoon.  This was the first time since leaving Phoenix in April that Ruby has had a bath.  The white upper part doesn’t show the dirt as much, but the red was a different story.  Wow, it looks almost new!

Tomorrow we head for Twin Falls, Id and then on to Reno, NV before arriving in Guerneville, CA on Monday.  We’ll be in an RV park on the river until we are able to actually have our house starting on September 18th.   I have an appointment with another orthopedic doctor on Tuesday for evaluation to see how the breaks are healing.  Hopefully, I’ll be out of his cast soon and can start retraining for the Big Ride to continue – at least from Guerneville down the coast.

If you would like to donate to my ride, my link for the Lance Armstrong Foundation is http://grassroots2011.livestrong.org/billsbigride197.  I really appreciate your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment