Wednesday, September 7, 2011

No More Splint


Day 157 & 158, September 5 & 6, 2011, No More Splint

Route from Reno, NV to River Bend Campground Resort, Guerneville, CA in Ruby and then to Healdsburg, CA via Rocket

Worst Moment – Driving over Donner’s Pass on Monday was terrible!  There was so much traffic, and the road was in ill repair or under construction.  I know that the driving really got to Neita – she was most happy to be close to our home in Guerneville.

Best Moment – Dr. Tomasin x-rayed my hand on Tuesday.  After looking at them, he told me that I no longer needed the splint and that I needed to start exercising the left hand to get back to being able to make a fist.  Yeah!!!

Leaving Reno on Monday probably wasn’t such a good idea.  The Burning Man was just concluding, there was the normal traffic and then all of the Labor Day traffic on top. The few miles from Reno to the California State Line were fine, but after the California Agriculture Inspection Station, the freeway was jammed with traffic.  In areas where there weren’t any cars entering the road, we moved okay, but when anyone needed to merge, the traffic stopped still.  It took us just over 5 hours to get here. And that was with a stop in Santa Rosa to resupply.

We are camped high above the Russian River, but can still look down the banks to see the water.  After everything was set up, I unloaded the bikes and Rocket.  I wanted to be sure that I could drive it in order to get Healdsburg today.  It was a bit difficult with the splint, but manageable.
    

I took Rocked out this morning early to be able to get to the doctor’s appointment by 10:30.  Riding along Westside Road into Healdsburg, I went past all of our favorite wineries.  There are a few new ones that we’ll need to visit.  The doctor, an ex-rugger, indicated that injuries like mine are a balance act – one doesn’t want to stay immobile for too long, or the rehabilitation becomes as much of an issue as the break.  My hand is still quite swollen and very stiff, but I am to work it to regain the ability to make a fist.  (I can even type using both hands now – sort of.)  He said that when I felt safe, it was okay to start bicycling again.  I’m probably going on an easy ride tomorrow to see how things go. 

The Rocket ride back to Forestville was a whole lot easier without the splint.  Neita and I went to Korbel’s for a celebratory champagne lunch!  I’m still hoping to be able to ride south from here on at least part of the coast. 


I’ll most likely not cycle all of the way back to Phoenix.  There are a few dates in place that will keep me from taking all of the time needed to cycle.  Mainly, when Neita agreed to come with me on this adventure, she agreed to the time from April 2nd to October 9th- no longer.  I need to finish the ride no later than that.    

If you would like to donate to my ride, my link for the Lance Armstrong Foundation is http://grassroots2011.livestrong.org/billsbigride197.  I really appreciate your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment